Kamis, 15 Maret 2012

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES

In real life, we often suppose. For example, if you want to be my boyfriend, I'll make you the happiest person in the world. If I were rich, I'll buy a plane. The sentence like that are called conditional sentences in English.
In English, conditional sentences in general have the following characteristics:

a. Use if in clause (subordinate clause). Because of this clause if begins by a
clause if it is called.

b. Use auxiliary capital, for example; will, can, may, must, would, could, might, etc.

Conditional sentences are classified into 2 types, such as : real conditional and unreal/contrary to fact.

A. Real Conditionals (factual / habitual / hypothetical / future possible)
Conditionals type are used to expressing of this situation or activity that normally occurs or will occur if the situation in the if clause fulfilled. In other words, what was supposed to have a opportunities to happened or become reality.

For example, when a friend asked me, if tonight I want to watch movies or not, I might say :

• If I have the time, I will go. (Jika saya punya waktu, saya akan pergi).
This sentence are implicitly means,
• If I don’t have the time, I will not go. (Jika saya tidak punya waktu, saya tidak akan pergi).

Use of the real conditionals
Conditional sentences of this type can be used to declared :

a. Future time

If + S + Present Tense, S + will + Verb 1
can
may
must

If clause can be placed in front of the sentence (such as the formula above), may also be placed in the back after main clause. It does not change the meaning of the sentence. With a note, if the if clause is placed at the back of, a comma is not needed.


Example :

1. If I have the money, I will give it to you. (Jika saya punya uangnya, saya akan memberikannya kepada kamu).

2. If you keep driving on this speed, we may arrive at home before 11 p.m. (Jika kamu terus nyetir mobil pada kecepatan ini, kita mungkin tiba di rumah sebelum jam 11 malam).

3. I can pass this subject if I study hard. (Saya dapat lulus mata kuliah ini, jika saya belajar giat).

4. You must bring an umbrella if I you don’t want to get wet. (Kamu harus membawa payung, jika kamu tidak ingin basah (kehujanan).

b. Habitual (kebiasaan/habit)

If + S + Verb 1, S + Verb 1

Note: In this formula, modal auxiliary not used.
Example :
1. If Budi has enough time, he usually walks to campus. (Jika Budi punya cukup waktu, dia biasanya jalan kaki ke kampus).
2. I usually watch football on TV every Saturday night if I do not fall asleep. (Saya biasanya nonton sepakbola di TV tiap Sabtu malam jika saya tidak tertidur).
3. If he has money, he always treats us. (Jika dia punya uang, dia selalu mentraktir kita).


c. Command (perintah)

If + S + Verb 1, S + Verb 1

Example :
1. If you finish with your work, please help me. (Jika kamu selesai dengan pekerjaanmu, tolong bantu saya).

2. Please give me a cigarette if you don’t mind. (Tolong beri saya sepuntung rokok, jika kamu tidak keberatan).

3. If you have time, please meet me in my office. (Jika kamu punya waktu, tolong temui saya di kantor saya).



B. Conditional Sentences (Part 2): Unreal atau Contrary to Fact Conditionals

Different from real conditionals, the meaning of conditional sentences of this type is always opposite the fact. This means that if the facts in the positive (affirmative), the conditional definitely in negative sentences; In contrast, if the facts in a negative sentence, the sentence should be conditional positive.
There are two types of unreal conditionals sentences, which is : if the facts in the simple present tense and if the facts in the simple past tense. Unreal conditionals can be made using the conjunctions "if" (as in real conditionals), the the inverse of (put the word help) to the next subject phrase, by using the "as if" or "as though", and the verb "wish". Use of the verb "wish" is to be compared with the use of the verb "hope".

A. Unreal conditionals jika faktanya dalam simple present tense
a. In the fact the simple present tense or future tense, so conditionalnya follows this pattern:

If + S + Verb 2, S + would + Verb 1
could
might

Example :

1. If the teacher didn’t speak quickly, I could understand better what he is teaching about. (Jika guru itu tidak berbicara dengan cepat, saya dapat memahami dengan lebih baik apa yang dia sedang ajarkan). Fakta dari kalimat ini adalah: the teacher speaks quickly, so that, I can’t understand well what he is teaching about.

2. He could hug me, if he were here. (Dia boleh memeluk saya, jika dia di sini). Faktanya : he can’t hug me, because, he is not here.

3. If I had a pair of wings, I would fly high. (Jika saya punya sepasang sayap, saya mungkin terbang tinggi). Faktanya : I don’t have a pair of wings, I cannot fly high.

B. Unreal conditionals if in the fact simple past tense
If the facts in the simple past tense or future tense past, so conditionalnya follow the following formula :

If + S + had + Verb 3, S + would + have + Verb 3
could
might

Example :

1. If Robby had not gone to a movie last night, he would not have met Susan (jika Robby tidak pergi nonton film (di bioskop) tadi malam, dia tidak akan berjumpa dengan Susan). Fakta dari kalimat ini adalah: Robby went to a movie last night, then, he met Susan.

2. If the German football team had played well, it could have beaten Spanish team (jika team sepak bola Jerman bermain bagus, team itu dapat mengalahkan team Spanyol). Faktanya: German foot ball team didn’t play well, it couldn’t beat the Spanish team.

3. You could have answered the questions well If you had studied well last night (kamu dapat menjawab soal-soal dengan baik, jika kamu belajar dengan baik tadi malam). Faktanya adalah: you couldn’t answer the questions well, because, you didn’t study well last night.

Note :
Unreal is this second condition can also be expressed by placing the auxiliary had at the beginning of the sentence. Meaning of phrase unchanged. In this case, if the word is not used. If the following formula is used, main clause is always placed at the back (after sub-clause).

Had + S + Verb 3, S + would + have + Verb 3
could
might

Example :
1. Had Robby not gone to a movie last night, he would not have met Susan.
2. Had the Brazil football team played well, it could have beaten the Italy team.
3. Had you studied well last night, you could have answered the questions well.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar